Maple Walnut & Apple Oatmeal Bake
Start your day with a very seasonal, high-protein, one-pan, make ahead breakfast. It has 20 grams protein per serving!
Do you find yourself hitting the wall mid-morning and scrounging for a muffin or sugary latte?
Starting your day with a high-protein breakfast will help you feel full, focused and energized until lunch and less likely to struggle with compulsive snacking. That’s because your body can manage blood sugar and insulin levels when protein is included with carbohydrate-containing meals.
High-protein breakfasts are equally important if you want to build and maintain MUSCLE. Growing muscles takes protein, so adding extra protein into every meal feeds muscles. Research also shows eating within 90 minutes of waking supports longevity and a healthy circadian rhythm. If you prefer to fast in the morning, just be sure to include enough protein in your daily eating window.
How Much Protein?
Aim for 20-30 grams per meal depending on your age, activity and medications or if you're healing from an injury or surgery.
Don’t get hung up on measuring. Focus on incorporating 1-2 healthy sources per meal, which generally works out to be 1-2 palm sized servings.
MAPLE WALNUT APPLE BREAKFAST BAKE - serves 4-6
* 2 cups Oats (rolled)
* 1/4 cup Ground Flax Seed
* 2 tsps Cinnamon
* 1 tsp Baking Powder
* 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
* 2 Eggs
* 1 1/2 cups Water or any Milk
* 1/4 cup Maple Syrup (plus extra for serving)
* 1/4 cup Coconut Oil (melted)
* 2 Apples, unpeeled & diced 1/2"
* 1/3 cup Walnuts or any nut or seed
* 3 cups Plain Greek Yogurt, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF and grease or line an 8x8" baking pan with oil or parchment paper.
2. In a mixing bowl combine the oats, ground flaxseed, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
3. Make a well in the oat mixture and crack in the eggs. Add the water, maple syrup and coconut oil and whisk well to combine. Stir in the apples and walnuts.
4. Transfer the mixture to the baking pan and smooth into an even layer. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the middle is set when pressed or a toothpick comes out clean.
5. Cool slightly before slicing. Serve with yogurt and an extra drizzle of maple syrup. Top with sliced apple, pear or fresh berries if you like too. Enjoy!