Egg Roll in a Bowl
Updated: Apr 12, 2020
Craving Chinese take-out but know you should be eating a few more healthy, homemade meals these days?
Here's a recipe that takes the star players in classic egg roll filling - juicy meat, zippy fresh ginger and garlic, salty umami soy sauce and colourful strips of fresh veggies - and turns them into a healthy meal that's perfect for a quick dinner. It also tastes amazing reheated for lunch or dinner again too! It's especially fast if you want to leave out the rice for a low-carb dinner or if you have leftover rice, barley, farro or quinoa.
Egg Roll in a Bowl - Serves 4
* 2/3 cup brown rice
* 1 1/3 cup water
* 2 tsp avocado or olive oil
* 227g (1/2 lb) ground turkey, chicken or beef
* 1 yellow onion, diced small
* 4 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 tsp grated ginger or 1/2 tsp ground
* 1/3 cup tamari
* 2 tbsp rice vinegar
* 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
* 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
* 1/4 tsp sea salt
* 6 cups thinly sliced cabbage (red, purple, savoy or a combination)
* 3 grated carrots
* 3 stalks sliced green onion, reserve some for garnish
* 1 tsp sesame seeds
1. Cook the rice (or use up leftover rice). Bring the rice and water to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 35 minutes, or until tender.
2. While the rice is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the avocado oil and turkey. Cook until browned. Add the onions and cook for 3-4 minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic, ginger, tamari, rice vinegar, sesame oil, red pepper flakes and sea salt. Stir to combine and cook for 2-3 minutes until the sauce begins to bubble.
3. Add the cabbage, carrots and green onion. Cook for a few minutes until the veggies begin to wilt. Add in the rice and stir to combine evenly. Serve in bowls and garnish with a few slices of green onion and sesame seeds. Enjoy!