Recipes are great when your grocery shopping is organized and when you're motivated and have the time and energy to be in the kitchen. But, there are occasions, such as right now, when you don't have the ingredients you need on hand for a recipe and you simply can't get to the store. This is when having a No-Recipe "recipe" is the perfect thing. Chances are, with what you have in the pantry, fridge or freezer right now, you can make great No-Recipe Tacos for lunch or dinner today!! Get to it!
There are probably a million taco recipes online and most of them really good, but you don't actually need a recipe to make fantastic tacos - all you really need are some "categories" of food.
1. You need something to put your taco
filling in, a wrap of some sort or a bowl
to make a taco salad
2. You need some protein
3. You need some slaw and/or a few
4. You need a salsa or sauce to pull it all
together but even this is optional
5. Garnishes, delicious and pretty, but
No-Recipe Tacos - Serves 4
Wrap Options: 8-12 tortillas, leaves (cabbage, romaine, butter lettuce), rice paper, frozen or homemade crepes or no-wrap tacos which becomes a taco salad
Protein: 1 lb of ground, shredded or chopped chicken, turkey, fish, shrimp, pork, lamb or beef or 2 cups of scrambled or chopped boiled eggs, peas, edamame beans, tofu, lentils or canned beans. A combination of meat and plant-based is delicious too! You can soften some onions and garlic in olive oil in a skillet if you have it, then add the protein and a few spices such as oregano, cumin, chile powder smoked or regular paprika, salt and pepper, (garlic and onion powder if you don't have fresh) or a package of taco, fajita or chile seasoning).
Slaw and Veggies: 4-6 cups in any combination. Add some olive oil, juiced lemon, lime or oranges, and seasonings.
* Slaw: Sliced/grated cabbage, carrots, kale, romaine, Brussels sprouts, arugula, green onion, lettuces, spinach, bok choy and herbs like cilantro basil parsley or dill.
* Fresh or stir-fried chopped veggies such as peppers, onion, broccoli, cauliflower, diced carrots, celery, zucchini, butternut squash, potatoes, sweet potatoes, cucumber, eggplant, mushrooms, corn, peas, tomatoes, radishes, green beans, asparagus...
Salsas and Sauces: Jarred salsa, homemade salsa (chopped tomatoes, mango, pineapple, cucumber, onion etc), thinned-out hummus, tzatziki, guacamole, garlic-citrus crema (yogurt, mayo, sour cream, kefir, garlic, citrus juice and zest, S&P)
Garnishes: Grated cheddar, feta, goat cheese, jalapenos, hot sauce, fresh herbs and onion.
Get creative! Buen Provecho!
Stay-tuned for more No-Recipes to make Perfect Bowls, Pastas, Sheet Pan Dinners, Soups, Smoothies, Stir-Fries, Salads!