Super Simple Sauerkraut Recipe
Updated: Apr 11, 2020
Here's my super simple way to make sauerkraut. So easy, so good for you!
Makes approx. 1L
- 8 cups Green Cabbage (1 medium head, shredded)
- 1 tbsp Caraway Seeds (optional)
- 1 tbsp Sea Salt
- 2/3 cup Grated Carrot (optional)
1. Remove the large outer leaves from the cabbage and set aside. Cut out the core and shred the cabbage with a knife or a food processor. Put the cabbage in a large bowl.
2. To the bowl, add the caraway seeds, sea salt and ginger and carrots, if using.
3. With your hands, massage/knead/squeeze the cabbage for about 8-10 minutes. Water/juices will be released and the volume of the vegetables will diminish by half.
4. Put the sauerkraut into a clean 1 litre glass mason jar. Press the cabbage down with a blender tamper or another utensil handle until the juices come up and cover the sauerkraut. Leave 2" of space above that in the jar.
5. Place the whole cabbage leaves on top, inside the jar, to ensure the sauerkraut stays under the liquid. Seal jar fingertip tight only.
6. Leave the jar on your kitchen countertop for 3 days and then transfer to your refrigerator. It will begin to form bubbles after a day or so, a sign that fermentation is happening! It may be eaten anytime now but will improve with age.